vollumt

Education

Lets try this again, my son is living at home and not employed or earning money. He received Pell grants and  (Calif) State University Grants totaling 10919. One Pell Grant was paid 7/5 2017 for Fall 2016 all others were paid in 2017. These were all checks made out to my son from his school, CSUF. His amount billed for qualified tuition and related expenses was 6686.70 (box 2), (box 7) is also checked but only reflects that the amount in box 1 or 2 includes money for an academic period starting Jan-Mar of 2018.
My son was not planning on filing a tax return since he had no job earnings for the year, so with my filing should I just fill in the 1098-T info into the appropriate boxes in TT or do all numbers need to be reflected on my return since it had already been mentioned that the info on the 1098-T is informational only and doesn't ck with returns. Also the 1098-T says it is to be used to complete Form 8863...One more thing, in the Student Info Worksheet he no longer qualified for American Opportunity Credit or Lifetime Learning Credit and also not for the Tuition and Fees deduction...4yrs claimed on Amer Opp Credit and other two say qualified education expense is zero...Did get the printout and that is what it reflects above...HELP and Thx