pk
Level 15
Level 15

Business & farm

@celestial21 , single member LLC   does not require a separate return --- for tax purposes ( ONLY) it is a disregarded entity .  So you report  your business activities on Schedule-C  as part of your own tax return.  It is treated like  self-employment i.e.  you pay full FICA on net income-- Social Security + Medicare -- total of 15.3%   ( it is called SECA ).

EIN ( and a separate State  tax ID in some states ) provides you the facilities to employ others, withhold  federal/State/FICA taxes and transmit these amounts the respective taxing authorities.  You also may have to pay FUTA and/or state  unemployment amounts.  You have to issue W-2s for employees and 1099-NEC for contract/non-employees by the due date -- generally by 31st of Jan.  Please review IRS Pub-15 and its follow-ons -- they cover a lot of material including tax tables for withholding. There are similar booklets issued by the states .

Please to note -- and I have seen this problem often  when I was a tax professional ---- keep your bank accounts separate -- do not mix personal account with business account.  Never. never use personal account. credit card etc. for business and vice-versa.  It will make life a lot easier especially tax time  and/or any audit. 

I have known quite a few small businesses , do all their  accounting  etc. by themselves. It is doable especially with all the software now available.  If you have been doing your won taxes, then there is no real reason why you  cannot  continue to do so even  for the  single member LLC. 

Other than that , you should be well on your way.  Good Luck on your new endeavor.

Is there more I can do for you ?

pk