Carl
Level 15

Business & farm

I would be interested in as large of a tax deduction as reasonably possible. I actually have a fair amount of income from my business that I would like to "shelter".

Just don't limit your line of thought on sheltering income to "the business". There are other ways to shelter income outside of the business. A tax pro and/or financial advisor would probably be most beneficial for expanding your train of thought on that front.  Probably beyond what you and I could even think of.

As an aside, I to am self-employed and have been since 2005. I've had what I call "armchair advisors" tell me that if I spend $10,000 on office furniture, then I"ll save about $2000 in taxes. For my needs, that's the dumbest thing I've heard anyone say. Why on earth would I want to spend $10K that I don't need to spend, just to save $2K in taxes? I'd much rather pay that $2K in taxes and put the remaining $8K in my wallet where it will never be taxed again, and I can do with it as I please.

Unless tax laws change, once you've paid your income tax on that income, it can never be taxed again. So I have no problem with paying my share of taxes on money that I get to keep. I do have a problem with paying taxes on money I don't get to keep - such as the principle part of a mortgage payment. That money is basically never mine - yet I have to pay taxes on it.