Carl
Level 15

Business & farm

Here's another idea, based on a few assumptions.

- I'm assuming you just need a workspace away from all the household noise where you can work without being disturbed or distracted, which is probably the issue you have now working in your house.

- I'm assuming you rarely (if ever) meet with clients face-to-face at home, and that would not change upon moving your operations elsewhere.

So by one of those pre-built wooden sheds like the ones pictured at https://www.lowes.com/pl/Wood-storage-sheds-Sheds-Sheds-outdoor-storage-Outdoors/4294612522?int_cmp=... and put it in the back yard or where-ever on your property. At less than $5K, the purchase "might" qualify as a safe-harbor de-minimus business deduction,meaning there's no need to depreciate it - just claim it as a full blown business expense; but only if current tax law allows that of course. ( @M-MTax would know more about this, as I know one factor might be if your property tax appraiser would consider it a permanent structure on the property, thus increasing your property taxes.) 

Have an electrician (unless you can do the work yourself) wire it up for you. I would think an extra circuit breaker or two in your existing electrical breaker box would do the trick, if your current electrical service can handle the addition of a 7000BTU window A/C unit in that barn. (I'm sure it can.) An overhead light or two and a few electrical plug outlets, for the computer equipment, and you're all set.

If you don't use a cell phone for your business yet, then get one. I myself have an el-cheapo Consumer Cellular phone I paid a whopping $37 for, and it's less than $30 a month for unlimited everything. The cost of the phone plus my monthly phone bill is 100% deductible as a business expense, since that's all I use it for.

Have the electrician install a porch light on the outside of the unit, that comes on whenever you turn on the inside light. That's the notice to the kids that if that light it on, you're working and they are forbidden under threat of being put up for adoption, to go anywhere near that shed, or even in the yard where the shed is located if that works for you. 🙂

So for less than $10K, you'd have the quiet and privacy needed, with no mortgage or rent payments.