bpleskow

Business & farm

I had trouble with this and finally figured it out! For some reason, my assets that i have been depreciating in turbo tax for 3-4 years were not carrying forward and i had to retype them all. Problem is, I didn't have great records and all of the information needed (because i relied on TT to store this for me).  I called Turbo Tax and they guided me through. For some reason, the online version has changed and will not give you prior year Turbo Tax worksheets with your tax returns. So if you go into "Documents" and try to save your prior year returns as a PDF, it will only give you the filings as opposed to the backup worksheets. Same if you try to to go to "Tax Home" and download the prior year returns. 

SOLUTION! The representative told me to go into a prior year where the assets had already been depreciated. 2019 was good for me. Go to Tax Home, scroll down until you see "Your tax returns and documents". Go to "Amend (change) 20XX return" and click Amend using TurboTax Online. Note this will only work if you used TurboTax previously and entered in the information on the assets. Once you agree to amending the return, go to "Print Center" and "Print or save this years return". Be sure to click "Include government and TurboTax worksheets (optional)". This will give you a incomplete pdf return; however, if you scroll down to the worksheets, it will include all of your prior year depreciation and amortization. You can just save this down and retype this information in your current year return. BE SURE TO HIT "CANCEL AMENDED RETURN" WHEN YOU ARE ALL DONE. This will close out the amendment and you should be on your way!