Hautehead

Business & farm

Hi TaxGuyBill,

I am partnering with an existing business owner to acquire ownership through profit sharing contributions.  The idea is to use profit sharing to purchase shares, up to and including 20%.  The agreement is drafted for 2 years of automatic share purchases from the eligible profit sharing.  My question is how can I use 100% of the profit sharing to purchase the shares pre-taxed, at least until all shares are purchase and the excess be taxed as income.  Below are the brief details to the agreement.

Goal: 2 year plan to gain 20% ownership by the end of year 2.  Profit sharing will be automatically rolled into purchasing up to 200,000 shares of a 1,000,000 share company at $1.30 per share.

Example: year 1 yields $130K in eligible profit sharing, to purchase 100,00 shares; 10%.  Year 2 yields $65K in profit sharing and $65K in equity returns; 100% vested.

Year 1: Profit sharing will be automatically rolled into purchasing.  Remaining share percentage (10%) will be the eligible profit sharing for year 2. 

Year 2: Eligible profit sharing (10% per example) and equity returns from shares purchased in Y1 are automatically rolled into purchasing the remaining shares (10%) .  Any excess returns are to be received and taxed as income.

Please tell me if there is a tax differed strategy to do this without the profit shares or equity returns being taxed before purchasing the shares.  Otherwise, I will need to pay out of pocket for any remaining shares.  As you can imagine, I would have to write a very big check if taxed before purchasing shares.  Any and all advice is much appreciated.