Carl
Level 15

Business & farm

I've tried changing the start date and entering the prior depreciation but the asset life worksheet extends out another 27.5 years (of course).

I don't think we're on the same page here. Here's a scenario of what I"m talking about.

In service - Jan 1st, 2000 to Dec 31st 2005.

Personal use Jan 1st, 2006 to Dec 31st 2018.

Now I"m placing the property back "in service" on Jan 1st 2019. Using the program as it's designed and intended to be used, I'll show an "in service" date of Jan 1st, 2019. That starts depreciation over again from day one, no matter what I put in for prior year's depreciation. That's wrong and not legal.

So I eliminate the gap by making my in service date Jan 1st, 2014. That will eliminate the gab from Jan 1st 2006 through Jan 1st 2019, and will automatically cause the program to figure the first 5 years of depreciation "for me", even though those 5 years were "actually" 2000 to 2005. My "fudge" puts me 5 years into the 27.5 year depreciation schedule so I've got 22.5 years remaining as of Jan 1st, 2019. That would be correct. However, I have falsified my "in service" date to make the depreciation right. It doesn't matter, as I'm knowingly and willingly filing an incorrect tax return.

Chances are, this will flag me for an audit in the tax year I sell the property. That's because on what will be the most recent tax return I'll have that fudged in-service date. However, on returns prior to that fudged in service date I've reported rental income on that same property and no rental income for 5 years "after" that fudged date. That's enough to make any IRS agent go "HUH???"