Business & farm

I have the same question about stock reorganization fees. Is it really considered an investment fee or can it be added to the cost basis of the stock? I can't find any definitive answer to what would seem to be a common question. Is there any reputable source that has an answer for this question?

On the 1099-B that I received, it reported a small amount of proceeds due to a merger situation and also reported $0 for the cost basis of this. So the reorganization fee was not applied to the cost basis being reported to the IRS. But the 1099-B also states "You should review this information carefully when completing your Form 8948 and Schedule D. There may be instances where our reporting requirements will not be consistent with your particular tax accounting position or elections. For these reasons, the IRS requires us to provide you with this reminder: Taxpayers are ultimately responsible for the accuracy of their tax returns." So basically, they are saying the amounts on the 1099-B might not be right.