Business & farm

It is not Windows 7 problem, I have Windows 10. Here an answer I received from TurboTax. I don't like this solution, but for now I am going to do it as they suggested. I will inform my partner to enter code Z and code AB for line 20 when they file their personal tax return.

As we discussed, you were concerned that line 20 of your 2019 1065 K-1 did not have certain information listed as it did last year, but rather directs the partner to Statement A. On Statement A, the rental income of $5057 and the UBIA (unadjusted basis immediately after acquisition) of $62802 are reflected in the second column. 

If you go to the Forms view in your TurboTax program and pull up the K-1 form, you can right click on the line 20 box with STMT for additional information about that line. This pulls up the following regarding line 20 (I have underlined the pertinent information):

Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) 

The Schedule K-1 codes require that you identify the income, deduction, credit, or other type of amount on the Schedule K. This code along with the partner's share, will appear on the Schedule K-1. If the same code is entered more than once on the same line on the Schedule K, the Schedule K-1 will summarize the amounts and only display the code once. Also, the codes will be alphabetized on the Schedule K-1.

Schedule K-1 is a summary schedule identifying each partner's allocable share of income, deductions, gains, losses, credits, and other reportable items. This is a fully calculated form. However, because of the new IRS codes condensing certain lines, additional details are required to explain specific codes to the partners on their K-1s. To disclose those details, use the Supplemental Information Smart Worksheet at the bottom of Schedule K-1. You may also use the same smart worksheet to expand any other line detail you may choose.

In other words, the new IRS codes have caused your information to be reflected a little differently on this year's K-1. If you scroll down to the Supplemental Information Smart Worksheet, you can add the line 20 amounts of $5057 (code Z) and $62802 (code AB) with an explanation to the other partners as to how to reflect these amounts when entering their K-1 information into their personal return tax software. That way, your partners are informed and will not need to reach out to you for further clarification. 

I understand that this was confusing for you, and I'm glad that you reached out to us for assistance. I have informed my leads of the vagueness of Statement A for a possible flag for escalation, as we strive to continually improve our software.

You may receive a follow-up email with a survey about your experience with TurboTax. Please take a few minutes to share your honest feedback. It’s one of the ways we measure performance, and will help us continue to improve.

Thank you,