Carl
Level 15

Business & farm

I just submitted 2016 taxes using only my SSN, filing under a 1040 on the Schedule C, and did not include the EIN on there.

Doesn't matter. Remember, *ONLY* the IRS issues EINs. When you requested the EIN you had to provide an SSN for the IRS to tie that EIN to. So it *does* *not* *matter* which you use when dealing with the IRS. THe IRS *knows* what SSN the EIN belogs to, and you and the IRS are the only ones who need to know what SSN your EIN is tied to.

The main reason I got the EIN was so that when I receive various 1099s the individuals and companies do not have my SSN.

Actually, that's the *only* reason to have an EIN, and it's a very important reason to have it. If your EIN gets abused the only thing affected is the business. But if your SSN gets abused, it can destroy your entire life.

I must now submit quarterly tax payments which, since I filed under my SSN for 2016, shows that I must file quarterly with the SSN and cannot use the EIN.

Not true by any stretch of the imagination. LIke I said, the IRS knows "exactly" what SSN that EIN is tied to. No, it's not a "MUST" that you file with your SSN either. You can use either. I"ve had some quarters where I'ved filed with the SSN, and other quarters with the EIN. It *does* *not* *matter* and is not a problem or issue for the IRS.

Should I forget about the EIN entirely, as the only point was to use it when individuals request a W9?

If the W-9 is being requested by a business client, then why on earth would you give them your SSN when you have an EIN? There is no reason on this green earth why anyone needs my SSN when I have an EIN. They get my EIN only, or they can take their business elsewhere. If that's a problem for them, then that's exactly what is....."THEIR" problem. Not mine.

I'm just afraid that if I pay my quarterly and annual tax returns with the SSN and use the EIN for individuals giving me a 1099, that could create a problem.

Your fears are based on no facts what-so-ever and are completely misfounded and untrue. But under no circumstances and with no exceptions should you "EVER" give your SSN to anyone for any reason when you have an EIN. There are no valid exceptions either. When running a business, there are only two business clients who have a legal requirement for your SSN instead of your EIN. That would be the IRS, (since they need it to issue the EIN) and any other taxing authority that taxes your personal income (such as your state and possibly your county if your business is required to be licensed below the state level.)