Business & farm

TurboTaxPatriciaV, assuming the 2016 1120S return is marked as final, you'd advised that the final distribution should be reported on my 2017 personal return as "investment income". However, if no 2017 K-1 .............how do I document that "final distribution"?  Doesn't a reporting form of some sort need to accompany that cover letter ....a 1099-DIV perhaps?

You advised: "Distributions affect only cash and owner's equity, neither of which is reported to the IRS." Noting the following Shareholder's Instructions for Schedule K-1 (Form 1120S):

"Schedule K-l doesn't show actual
dividend distributions the corporation
made to you. The corporation must
report such amounts totaling $10 or
more for the calendar year on Form
1099-DIV, Dividends and
Distributions."

With the above instructions in mind and your recommendation the S-Corporation be officially closed end of 2016, it doesn't appear that a 1099-DIV can be generated for 2017. Specifically then, how should I document that final distribution in 2017?

Also, assuming that final distribution is paid out to shareholders as the final S-Corporation business check in March 2017, presumably, it would be prudent to file an estimated first quarter tax payment to the IRS for shareholders 2017 personal returns?