NS1
Level 3

Cost of Goods Sold (NO Inventory) VS Supplies as Expenses

Trying to figure out the correct way to report materials and supplies costs for a small business filing Form 1065 with TurboTax Business. We buy small quantities of raw materials all the time to use in made-to-order jewelry. Sometimes we stock up in advance so we can handle rush orders etc, so naturally, at the end of the year, we do have materials that we have not yet used. We do NOT track inventory (as in how much material is used, when it is used, and how much is left exactly. That is pretty impossible given the nature of the materials, which is mostly raw metals). 

I see that Cost of Goods Sold and Inventory are separate sections, and as far as I can see one is NOT required to fill both (see screenshot). Since in our case there is no inventory tracked, can we report ALL that we have spent on materials during the year in the Cost Of Goods Sold section? Or should we leave COGS alone, and report all the materials that go into our products as part of the Supplies, in the Expenses section?

All instructions in TurboTax lead me to believe that the Cost Of Goods Sold should be the correct place to report the materials UNTIL I get to the screen for entering the number, where the instructions say the number needs to reflect only materials for products that "actually sold" in the given year (see screenshot - Purchases). Since we do not have the inventory part, and we have not sold absolutely ALL of the materials purchased during the calendar year, is it wrong to enter the total of all that we have purchased, regardless that we have not sold it in the same year?