Business & farm

" If the S corporation is not making a profit, then your K-1 is not passing through profit and hence there should not be any tax implications to the shareholder."

This statement needs to be clarified because there certainly ARE tax implications, even in a situation where the S-Corp is sustaining losses.   Those losses REDUCE YOUR BASIS in the S-Corp stock, affecting your capital gain or loss when you sell your stock.

"I thought I read that K1's were reported for any income,  the pass through taxes were for any income at all. Am I mistaken?"

I don't really understand that sentence.  ALL ACTIVITY of the S-Corp - income, loss, distributions, activities that require special handling on your personal income tax return, etc. - MUST pass through to the shareholders.  As long as the S-Corp exists the S-Corp must issue its income tax returns - Form 1120S - and the associated Schedule K-1(s) to its shareholders and the shareholders must consider how these Schedule K-1's affect their individual income tax returns.