mlynnbb1969
Returning Member

LLC member changes, name changes - is it a new business?

My husband had a no-income single-member LLC starting in 2020 in Maryland, before we married, I'll call LLC 1. We married in 2021, and his Schedule C was included in our 2021 and 2022 joint filings. The losses were well under $1K. These first two years he was trying to get a consulting business up & running.

In January 2023, he reorganized in Maryland, changed the name from LLC 1 to LLC 2, and I was added as a member/officer. I just found out that he did not update EIN with the IRS to reflect said change, and I really can't tell from the IRS website whether we fall under the "new FEIN" requirements. 

To complicate things, I didn't know that we needed to file a separate business return for 2023. We have no employees and no income. We're just getting the new venture up & running. We filed a Schedule C in our 2023 joint filing, but with LLC 2 as the business name and his name as the proprietor, with just a little over $2K in losses. 

All this background leads to this issue. TurboTax Business/Desktop is asking the date that LLC 2 started doing business. Do I use the date he established LLC 1 under the old name, or the date he reorganized under LLC2 and became a multiple-member LLC? Edited to add: We moved Labor Day 2023 from MD to FL. We dissolved the MD LLC effective 12/31/2023 and established in FL as of 1/1/2024. Not sure if it matters.