New Member

Deductions & credits

Storm damage is considered a casualty loss.

Here's how to enter a casualty loss

  • Go to the Federal Taxes
  • Deductions and Credits
  • Click “I’ll choose what I work on”
  • Scroll down to Deductions and Credits, 
  • Click start across from Casualties and Thefts


A personal Casualty loss is first reported on Form 4684 (Casualties and Thefts).  Personal losses are subject to a $100 subtraction (Line 11) and a subtraction of 10% of your Adjusted Gross Income ( Line 17) on Form 4684 because it is a personal loss.  Your loss amount then goes to line 20 of  your Itemized Deductions Schedule A 


If your standard deduction is higher than your Schedule A  (Itemized deductions), you will use the standard deduction and no additional loss will be allowed  TurboTax will default to the higher deduction


This year the standard deduction for :

  • Single  or Married Filing Separate - $6,300
  • Married Filing Jointly or Qualifying Widow(er) - $12,600
  • Head of Household - $9,250