LindaA
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If your fifth wheel has sleeping, cooking, and toilet facilities, it may qualify as your second home. You can still enter the interest for your second home in box 1 of the 1098 section of TurboTax. (Click the first screenshot below for reference.) Be sure to store the paperwork that shows the interest you paid with your tax records.

To enter the interest you paid on your fifth wheel:

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type 1098.
  • In the results box, highlight 1098, then click GO.
  • Follow the onscreen instructions. If you have already entered the interest for your main home, you'll need to click Add a lender to enter the interest for your second home. (Click the second screenshot below for reference.)

To enter personal property taxes you paid for your fifth wheel:

• Open (continue) your return in TurboTax Online. (If your return isn't open, you'll need to sign in and click Take me to my return.)
  • Click My Account (top right of your screen).
  • Select Tools.
  • In the pop-up window, select Topic Search.
  • In the search bar, type personal property tax.
  • In the results box, highlight personal property taxes, then click GO.
  • Answer Yes when asked Did you pay personal property taxes in 2016?
  • How much did you pay in personal property taxes during 2016? (Click the third screenshot below for reference.) Enter the total, then click Continue.

Note: If using the TurboTax CD/Download software, you'll use the Find function (instead of "My Account") to search for the topic.

What's the difference between real estate tax, property tax, and personal property tax?  https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3300085