Deductions & credits

Thank you Bill,

The $125 excess distribution has carried over for several years and I've pretty much ignored it until now.   We got a 1099-SA again this year, 2023, and it shows that we had a gross distribution of $27.  The HSA account had only

$27 at the beginning of 2023 and was spent down and had a zero balance at the end of 2023.  

I can show that we spent on non-medical expenses for the last $27 but I am not going to be able to capture the entire $125, at least not in 2023.

I've gone through the dialog about the HSA money and with the $27 of HSA money spent on non-medical expenses, the excess contribution has been reduced to $98.  I get the message "Unfortunately, all of your excess contribution is caused by a prior year excess contribution.  It is too late to remove the excess contribution."  When I click on Learn More, I get three options, none of which are viable.  

I like to think that I follow the straight and narrow path but it appears I've backed myself into a corner and I don't know how to get out.