ITIN REJECTED / J2 Visa / CHILD AGE 7 / PRIMARY HOLDER J1 VISA

I am in the J1 visa category, and my children are in the J2 visa category, aged 7 and 12. They have been with me for more than 300 days in the last year. I filed a tax return (jointly married filing) using the 1040 form for 2023, along with an ITIN-W7 application to the IRS office in Cleveland, Ohio. I claimed a tax benefit under Schedule 8812 in the 1040 form and mentioned my kids' names on the form where the ITIN column indicated Applied (the original W7 was enclosed with the filing).

After six weeks, the ITIN application was rejected, and I received a standard letter stating two reasons:

1. I did not include a completed and signed US Federal income tax return 

2. I either wasn't listed on an attached U.S Federal Income Tax Return, or I was listed but not claimed for any allowable tax benefit.

However, I compelted and signed 1040, attached the W7, and claimed Schedule 8812 for child tax credit

Now the IRS has sent a letter stating that I have to pay additional tax because my child does not have an ITIN. I reapplied with their rejection letter.

How can I obtain an ITIN and get the tax benfit for 2023 .. your suggestion will be highly appreciated