sr41
Level 2

Completing Form 3520 for distributions from foreign retirement plan

I worked in Norway for 3 years and my Norwegian employer contributed amounts towards a defined benefit type pension.  When I left many years ago and moved back to the US, it was converted to an annuity type contract for me, but I could not take distributions until I reached retirement age, death or disability.  I reached retirement age in 2023 and they began sending me monthly distributions.  I received some type of statement from them with information such as return on premier reserve, added yield, etc, but nothing that translates to information I would need to complete Form 3520, which asks about DNI of the trust, accumulated distributions etc.  The Form says I should get a Foreign Nongrantor or Grantor Trust Beneficiary statement and I have asked the Norwegian entity for information but have not received anything.  In the absence of that the Form says to fill out a default calculation of trust distributions, which refers you to Form 4970 and schedule J of Form 1041, with lots of information that I don't have. Any ideas about how to fill out a Form with no information?  the only info I have really is the amount of the distributions sent to my bank.