Deductions & credits

I'm going to reiterate my earlier response.  It may be that the mortgage refinancing alone creates a taxable transaction for US tax purposes.  As I said earlier, consult a tax professional who is versed in this area to determine if you need to report this for US tax purposes

"Section 988 transactions are foreign currency transactions including becoming a borrower under a foreign mortgage. Under the US law predating section 988, the borrowing and repayment of the mortgage loan is a separate transaction from the purchase and sale of the personal residence. The repayment of the mortgage constitutes a closed and therefore, taxable transaction. If the loan increases in value against the dollar between the time of the original borrowing and the time of the loan repayment, the amount of dollars required to retire the debt would be less than the dollar value of the amount originally borrowed. Therefore, a gain is recognised on the loan repayment."

"The issue of taxable income on redemption of a mortgage has been the source of many difficult conversations over the past few months and we have nothing but empathy with those clients having to find funds to pay often unexpected liabilities resulting in this way. This is particularly the case when the mortgage has been redeemed but the property has not been sold as it can be difficult to find the funds to pay the resultant tax liability where no proceeds have been generated. " (emphasis added)

http://www.taxadvisorypartnership.com/blog/us-tax/foreign-mortgage-exchange-rate-gain/

View solution in original post