How to report Schedule K-1, line 13 Other Deductions, Code M? IRS states amounts paid for medical insurance may be reported on Schedule 1 (1040) line 29.

I am using a Turbo Tax Premier version 2018. 

I am retired and received a partnership K-1 which shows: Box 4 guaranteed payments ( I reported on Schedule E) and Box 13 M for other deductions. 

Essentially this is the health insurance premium that I paid through partnership and therefore listed on K-1. This is unrelated to business as I am already retired. 

IRS instruction on K-1 box 13 says amounts paid for medical insurance premium may be reported on Schedule 1 line 29 if not itemized as a deduction.  I am using standard deduction for 2018. 

I followed instructions but this amount on medical insurance premium that I paid through partnership is still showing as an itemized deduction and not on Schedule 1 Line 29 as an adjustment to income. 

Is this because I am using Turbo tax premier? 

Deductions & credits

Hi!  I am having the same problem as stampdisney.  I do have net earnings from self-employment reported with code A in box 14 of the K-1.  However, the health insurance premium still isn't showing up on Schedule 1, line 29.  Any suggestions for this situation?  Many thanks!
dmertz
Level 15

Deductions & credits

The sum of Schedule 1 lines 27, 28 and 29 is not permitted to exceed net profit from self-employment.  Make sure that the Self-Employed Health and Long Term Care Insurance Deduction Worksheet has the correct amount on line B.
dmertz
Level 15

Deductions & credits

For the box 13 code M amount on the Schedule K-1 (Form 1065) to appear on Schedule 1 line 29, you must have net earnings from self-employment reported with code A in box 14 of the K-1.  Otherwise, you can only take a Schedule A medical expense deduction for the health-insurance premiums paid.

View solution in original post

Deductions & credits

Hey thank you for the quick answer, this is super helpful! Turbo tax community rocks!

Deductions & credits

Do you show partnership medical payments both as a guaranteed payment, and a Line13M deduction?

ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

Partnership medical payments are reported as a guaranteed payment.

As @dmertz stated so clearly above, they can also be reported on line 13M  if you have net earnings from self-employment reported with code A in box 14 of the K-1.  

From See IRS Publication 541 PartnershipsPremiums for health insurance paid by a partnership on behalf of a partner, for services as a partner, are treated as guaranteed payments. The partnership can deduct the payments as a business expense, and the partner must include them in gross income. However, if the partnership accounts for insurance paid for a partner as a reduction in distributions to the partner, the partnership cannot deduct the premiums.