Deductions & credits

@Daniel_284 wrote:

Thanks. Perhaps I'm overly concerned about the 3-of-5 rule. The business is expected to be profitable, but whether that happens in year 3 is uncertain, in part because year 1 consisted only of a December. Perhaps better to keep everything accurately documented and deducted and be prepared to defend its business status if needed.

Your Section 179 note is also a good reminder, thank you.

The hobby loss rule is a rebuttable presumption.  If you can show by facts and circumstances that you really are actively engaged in ongoing business activities with a profit motive, you should survive any audit.  For example, in high school, my friend's Dad was running a "catering business" from his home, but it was really a hobby that he used to write off the purchase of fancy kitchen equipment for himself, and he had to  show a profit every once in a while.  (Obviously, being 14 at the time, I was not in a position to object.)  On the other hand, I doubt the IRS questioned the ongoing losses of amazon.com in its early days.  If audited, you would show by facts and circumstances that it really was a business with a profit motive.

I can't cite a specific regulation but I also believe that it is improper to fail to report expenses if that gains you a benefit you would not otherwise be entitled to.  The most obvious example is the earned income credit, where omitting legitimate expenses to create a profit could result in receiving more EIC than you pay in higher taxes.   Another example would be omitting expenses to show a higher profit for purposes of qualifying for a loan of some kind.