tah0476
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

My situation is a bit more complex I believe due to the involvement of the RSU vesting.

So here is the scenario:  (FYI, prior to this I knew nothing about wash sales).

On 4/27:  I sold 27 shares of my company stock in my ESPP account.  I purposely selected HIFO and sold all shares for a loss (~$800)

On 5/1:  I had an RSU grant vest (71 total shares, received 44, 27 withhold for taxes)

As I have been reading about wash sales and how to deal with them on my taxes, I have learned that the loss ($800) is not gone forever; I am to add it to the cost basis for the share purchased (in this case the vested RSU shares). 

RSU questions:

1)  Is that true in the case of the RSUs? 

2)  Do RSUs have a cost basis and what is it?

Non RSU questions:

3)  Also, I have to ask this again because I am purchasing shares monthly through my ESPP.   This is a "share for share" thing right?  By that I mean, if I sold 10 shares on day 1 for a loss, then bought 2 shares on day 2; I can still write off the loss for 8 shares, right?  and then defer the loss for the 2 shares by adding that loss to my cost basis for the 2 shares purchased on Day 2.

Example:  Day 1 sold 10 shares (cost basis $5 per share) (sale price $3 per share):  Loss is $2 per share.

Day 2 purchased 2 shares @ $3 per share.  total cost basis would be $10 (6$ from this transaction plus $4 deferred loss from the 2 shares from the first transaction).

Does this sound like I have it right?