Apples 521
Returning Member

Excess HSA Contribution

Hi,

I was on an HSA family plan this year Jan-Jul and then moved to an individual plan August 1.  I fully funded my HSA based on the 2022 family limits of $7,300 before August 1.  My understanding is that after downgrading to an individual HSA, the annual contribution limit for me would be ($7,300 max fam x 7months) + ($3,650 max individual x 5months) = $69,350 / 12 = $5,779 new max contribution.  This means I am overfunded by $1,521  ($7,300 - $5,779).

From my understanding I have two options.

1. I can submit an excess withdrawal form to my HSA bank and withdraw that excess $1,521 and let my employer know.  They will update my contributions so my year end W2 reflects the correct $5,779 max contribution.
  2. I can let the excess sit in my account and pay a 6% excise tax on it each year it is not used up (either by contributions, or spending it)

My questions are

1. Is my understanding of the above correct?
  2. If I do option 1 above and withdraw the excess- does my employer tax me on that withdraw, or am I taxed on that withdraw when I file my 2022 taxes?
  3. If my wife gets an HSA plan in January and I move to that plan and we make contributions to her plan, do those contributions count towards my excess funding next year?
  4. Based on my calculation that my new contribution limit is $5,779 and I’ve funded $7,300, what happens in the case I pay for medical expenses and my balance at year end is $2,000?  Is this $2,000 still an excess since I’ve drawn my balance down below my max contribution limit of $5,779?
  5. Is there a dollar amount I can draw down to that wont require me to make a withdrawal or carry forward with 6% excise tax?  I’m assuming not since I’ll want my W2 to reflect my new max contribution limit.