Deductions & credits

Thank you very much for the response. The response I received to the post in March (this one: https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/tax-credits-deductions/discussion/paying-back-relocation-tax-refun...)  is indeed very helpful. Will doing what is said there handle only the federal tax part of the repayment or also the FICA taxes? I assume only Federal but just wanted to double check.

Regarding FICA taxes, just to confirm, I should ask my former employer to provide a statement indicating that I am indeed owed a FICA tax refund and I should attach that with Form 843 when I send it to the IRS?

Also, I believe this is Form 843:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f843.pdf

I notice at the top that it says the following:

Use Form 843 if your claim or request involves:
(a) a refund of one of the taxes (other than income taxes or an employer’s claim for FICA tax, RRTA tax, or income tax
withholding) or a fee, shown on line 3,
(b) an abatement of FUTA tax or certain excise taxes, or
(c) a refund or abatement of interest, penalties, or additions to tax for one of the reasons shown on line 5a.
Do not use Form 843 if your claim or request involves:
(a) an overpayment of income taxes or an employer’s claim for FICA tax, RRTA tax, or income tax withholding (use the
appropriate amended tax return),
(b) a refund of excise taxes based on the nontaxable use or sale of fuels, or
(c) an overpayment of excise taxes reported on Form(s) 11-C, 720, 730, or 2290.

Do you know which of the above situations applies to me? I was thinking it would have been part a) of "Use Form 843 if your claim or request involves:" but I am a bit confused as it says "(other than income taxes or an employer’s claim for FICA tax)" and it also says not to use Form 843 if my claim or request involves "an overpayment of income taxes or an employer’s claim for FICA tax".

Also, I understand that the federal tax credit or deduction will be applied when I file my taxes for the year 2022, but could I technically actually send the IRS Form 843 right now to get the FICA tax refunded, assuming I also get a statement from my former employer saying that they can't pay it back and I am owed a refund? Also, if my employer refuses to provide a statement as well, should I just submit Form 843 anyway?

Thank you so much!