pk
Level 15
Level 15

Deductions & credits

@TaxyTax , if I understand you correctly , the situation you are contemplating is as follows :

(a) at the start of year 1 the business acquires an asset for $40K to be used in production of income. The business on its tax return for the year 1 chooses to take accelerated depreciation under section 179, for the whole  cost of 40K ( and let us assume that this allowed ). Also assume that the business income is sufficient to take this depreciation and still show a profit.

(b) year 2 the business  buys another asset for 40K and again exercises  section 179 for the new/ replacement  asset. all good. so far.  It now sell the earlier asset for 30K ( FMV)   Since the book value of the first asset is ZERO, the disposal  creates a capital gain of  30K and taxed as such. 

(c) Is this going to create a sustainable / profitable situation ?  I don't know  without running a spread sheet with reliable/reasonable figures including data about income stream created by  the asset .   Can you do it -- probably.  Is it going to be worth it  -- I doubt it.    

What you really trying to do is to find out whether  this yearly accelerated ( section 179) gives you a better tax outcome  than taking the  regular depreciation under the same scenario. 

That is my take on this.  May be another poster would have a different  opinion.

pk