Allthethings
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

Thanks @MarilynG1 but what I'm really concerned about is are we allowed to have one person take the Property Tax Credit and the other take the Property Tax Deduction. Generally if one person itemises, the other has to itemise. Is it not the same for Credit vs. Deduction?

Furthermore, would this 1/3 vs. 2/3 extend to medical expenses? Or do we do 50-50? We paid the majority of our 2021 medical expenses with spouse HSA (about 5k) and another grand outside of that (450 on my credit card which was ultimately paid from the joint checking though it was an expense incurred by me, 600ish directly from the joint checking - spouse was the one who incurred the expense, plus 800ish medical miles). Not to mention another 5.5k from medical insurance premiums through spouse's employment. I know federally that HSA withdrawals and insurance premiums can't be counted towards medical expenses as they are "pre-tax," but in NJ, HSA withdrawals for medical purposes and insurance premiums do count as the HSA contributions and premiums have been added to NJ wages.

Also thanks for clarifying that NJ status must be same as federal status. Was already planning on filing the same for all since I read NY (where I work) also requires same status for state and federal.