BillM223
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

1. Enter your W-2 with the box 10 amount too

2. Answer the question 2 screens later on whether or not your employer provided onsite daycare.

3. Answer YES to you having an FSA

4. Answer 1200 to the money left over in your FSA

** Be sure to add your dependents now - otherwise you will have to add them in the dependent care interview, which is not as nice. I am assuming that these dependents lived with you all year and have SSNs.

5. Now go to Deductions & Credits->You and Your Family->Child and Dependent Care Credit and click Start (or Revisit or whatever the button says).

6. Answer YES to Did you pay for child and dependent care in 2020? You have to do this to get into the interview.

7. Answer "None of the above" or whatever is correct to you and your spouse being full-time students or disabled or whatever.

8. Then choose your first (or only) dependent whose care you paid for.

9. Hit Continue

10. Enter 0 (zero) for total expenses paid for this dependent

11. If that is your only dependent, hit Done (otherwise do the same thing for the next dependent).

12. On "Let's get some info about your care provider", Click on Other (as opposed to EIN or SSN)

13. For Provide Name, enter NONE, and enter "n/a" for address and city, your home state and zip, and 0.00 (zero) paid to this provider - then hit Continue.

14. Click on Done on the next screen.

15. On the next screen, answer NO (I assume that this is true)

16. On the next scree, enter ) (zero) - I assume that this is true

Next your dependent care summary should show zero dependent care credit (which is right).

This what the top of your 2441 should look like:

There is no change on the 1040, if you indicated that you would carry over or forfeit the 1,200 to next year. It occurs to me that you won't see the DCB yet because you still might be able to use the carryover next year. If you don't, then you will see the DCB and the amount added to line 1 next year. (Because of law changes, this has been changing every year - up until recently, you had to use it or lose it by March 15th)

Please don't try to make the changes in Forms mode - this just won't work... please do it in the Step by Step mode.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"