Deductions & credits

@DawnC Thanks for your clarification. So from your message, I think I understand correctly that the estimated tax amount should have been based on the full tax due including deferred amounts. It is unfortunate that TT is deducting deferred amounts from the calculation as I see no situation where that's correct. I get that it's a one-off scenario, but it causes a lot of confusion and could at least have come with a warning message about deferred SI tax causing estimates to be incorrect.

All that said, I've already made the quarterly payment that TT suggested, which I now know is insufficient. What do I do now? I get that I can recalculate based on the correct amount to know what my quarterly payment should be, but how to best avoid penalties and also messes come tax time? Can I make another payment to bring myself up to the correct quarterly amount or will that mess things up for entering estimated payments next year? How are penalties calculated/assessed? I've never dealt with quarterly payments in TT, so I'm coming into this blind.