Deductions & credits

@ jamescataxes wrote:

Thank you for your answer. There is no option to select "Yes, I have a questions about my return" as the article you linked to suggests. I am using the Free Federal File version of TurboTax so maybe it doesn't include that option? If not is there any way to get an answer to my question? It seems like a problem with the TurboTax software. At the very least the software does not explain why I do not qualify for the credit. There is no worksheet for the form f8880, even with the complete download of my return and worksheets.

You mentioned the "Free Federal File" version?    Is that the Free Edition?   TurboTax has 2 free products.

Which free product are you using?  Are you using the regular Free Edition (at the Online TurboTax website) or the TurboTax IRS Free File Program (at a special website?)

EDITED:  3/08/2021 11:30 PM Pacific

I had originally typed here that there would be a charge to upgrade from Free Edition to Live Basic, and there normally would be.

However, there is currently a limited-time special offer where Free Edition users can upgrade to Live Basic, which allows for help from a CPA/EA tax expert and a review of the return, which requires one file by March 27.  If not filed by March 27, the fee would be $80.

But hold off on that; it likely will not be necessary.  I think you can get a solution in this thread.

I'll ask someone familiar with retirement situations to look at the info you provided above and see if he can figure out why you might be having a problem getting that Retirement Savers credit.  But it may not be tonight.

@ dmertz  Are you able to assist the user here with the Retirement Savings Contribution Credit when you are next in the forum?  Thanks!

EDITED: 3/08/21 11:59 PM Pacific

@ jamescataxes 

I think I may have figured out why you are not getting the credit.  See my answer below this one where I explain.