Do I have to claim charitable donations? I am itemizing deductions related to my mortgage but would rather leave out charitable donations.

Deductions & credits

You are not required to enter your donations.   You can leave them out if you want to.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

No. You are required to report income, but not deductions. You can omit them altogether and just take the standard deduction or itemize as many or as few as you choose.

Deductions & credits

no law requires you to claim them for regular tax purposes.   there was a strange case decided by SCOTUS.   taxpayers only deducted part of their real estate taxes to eliminate their AMT.  SCOTUS said for AMT purposes they had to use 100% (this was before 2018 when there was imposed a limit of deductibility of taxes)

you don't have to detail each cash contribution. noncash may need to be detailed on form 8283