Deductions & credits

@rose1965 wrote:

Hi, thank you for the info. I'm just really confused and all new at this.  All my working life, my father did my taxes for me. He passed last year. I was not working for a while, cause I was taking care of him. After he passed I ran out and got a PT job. My friend helped me file on line on turbotax. We saw a video about what low income means. Nothing seemed to apply to me. I have no children.  Another friend said that I did it all wrong and I am due low income rate. Well. He never wanted to help me out anyway or meet in person to do on the computer. I have a very low amount coming back to me as it is I claim 0. I guess I have to just take what i'm going to get. I don't know how to get back into the page to watch the video again.

https://www.irs.gov/credits-deductions/individuals/earned-income-tax-credit-eitc

You can read about the Earned Income Credit here.  For a single person with no children, you must be age 24 or older, have income less than $15,820, and the maximum credit amount is $538.  If you did qualify, Turbotax will have applied it to your tax return, but it may have only reduced your tax owed.  Also, the credit is on a sliding scale, if you earn near the bottom of the limit or near the top, the credit phases out.  Print your tax return and check form 1040, line 27, to see if there is an EIC amount there.