Deductions & credits

Hello, during 2020 when I needed to set up medical insurance with the 'marketplace', I had no idea whether or not I was going to able to claim my two stepsons as dependents. I had no idea in early 2020 that they were not going to attend any classes. Since they attended no classes, my Wife and I cannot claim them as dependents. Yet, the marketplace wanted to know in early 2020 if we were going to claim them as dependents. Since I thought they were going to attend classes, I said yes. They did not attend classes. The marketplace did not know this and included both of them on the 1095-A. If they were not going to be dependents, I still would have to give their approximate income, and the marketplace would have sent them their own 1095-A. This did not happen, and again, they both appear on my Wife's and my1095 A.

This is not fair since I had no idea in early 2020 things would transpire this way. Now, it appears my Wife and I are expected to put their AGI income on our tax return. We may be financially penalized for not knowing what their correct 2020 AGI would be when it comes to the marketplace determining what premium credit we may received.

Even if I don't enter the stepsons' AGI income on form 8962, won't the IRS will be looking for their W2 information to see how it matches with our 1095-A? How can I resolve this without paying some kind of financial penalty?

Since we cannot claim either stepson in 2020 as a dependent, do I still have to enter their AGI on form 8962? Again, if I don't, won't the IRS be looking for some kind of reconciliation with their income and the projected income I gave on the marketplace application?

How can this be resolved?

Thanks