KJ94
Level 1

I claim my son every other year so my filing status changes every year. Do I need to change my W4 every year to match my filing status?

I share custody of my son with his mother. We each claim him every other year - I claim him in odd years and she claims him in even years. When I claim him my filing status is head of household but when she claims him, my filing status is single. When I did my 2020 taxes (not claiming my son), I noticed my employer did not take any federal taxes out which resulted in me having to pay. I asked my employer about this and they gave me a new W4 to fill out. I am questioning which filing status to choose - single or head of household? I was going to choose head of household since that will be my filing status for 2021 taxes (claiming my son) but then I wondered if I would have to fill out a new W4 next year and change it to single since I won't be claiming my son for 2022. I just want to make sure I have enough taxes withheld so I am not paying again next year. Please help!