Deductions & credits

This is definitely still a problem this year which is even more absurd given how many people reported it as a problem last year. I entered my original mortgage first, selected that it is the original mortgage for my house and it has no points to amortize. Then I enter the refi information, no points, then select that this is a refinanced loan and no cash was taken out. Then when I hit Done after both forms are in the software knows to ask me what date I paid off one of the loans and it asks for the final payoff value as well as the year end value for the refi. When I go into the Forms view it shows that the refi had no beginning balance and the loan was taken out in 2020. When I got to the original mortgage the box in Line 9 is not checked saying that I paid off this loan but even when I manually check that box it still doesn't work.

1.png

The problem is clearly on the next form the Deductible Interest Worksheet. The months of loan outstanding is listed as 12 for the loan that was paid off, obviously wrong, but overriding that to 3 does nothing. The real problem is Line 7 where it calculates the average balance. It is just adding the 2 loan balances from Part 1 of the worksheet and giving me a number over $1.6M. If I override that number with the real average balance it calculates the deductibility limit correctly on Line 12. 

2.png

This is the closest I get to a workaround that I'm comfortable with so far. The IRS will receive 2 1098's from 2 different lenders so I don't like the idea of putting values from a fake 1098 that combines the information.  According to the IRS website you can calculate the average balance for your loans by dividing the interest paid by your loan interest rate if it's a fixed rate mortgage. If I do that for each loan and then add the two together the math works out so that's what I'm going with. I'm just not sure if I should change the Average Balance line from the top of the worksheet as well where is shows Loan 1 & Loan 2 information.

3.png

Edit to add: I'm using TurboTax Premier downloaded on a Windows PC.