Deductions & credits

I am confused by the response, but you've offered way more clarity than a lot of others so far! You state that, "Because your health FSA is active (available to you for payment of medical expenses) through the end of this calendar year, that makes you ineligible to contribute to a HSA this year."

I am in a similar situation and do not understand how the FSA is considered active. Once employment terminates, the benefit is finished. Here is info from the FSA provider at my previous employer:

What happens if I leave employment during the year?

If your employment ends or your eligibility for the FSA ends during the Plan Year, you cease being eligible to use your Health FSA and/or Dependent Care FSA funds for new expenses as of midnight on the day of termination and your debit card will be inactivated. You will still be able to submit claims for eligible health care expenses incurred on or before your termination date through your runout period.

Has the IRS ruled on changing jobs and FSA no longer being "active"? Is there any ability to move to an HSA if the FSA benefit is no longer applicable?