Carl
Level 15

Deductions & credits

Your primary residence for 2019 is the one you came home to on Dec 31, hung your hat and sait "Honey! I'm Home!" This has absolutely nothing to do with the "Mailing Address" you will enter under the My Info tab. The mailing address you enter on the tax return is where you want the IRS to send any correspondence concerning "THAT" 2019 tax return. It has nothing to do with your primary residence. Thank about it, as some folks use a P.O. Box for their mailing address.

There will be two 1098-Mortgage Interest Statements; one received by each of you. Enter them one at a time. If one house was converted to rental in 2019, then work through the rental section *FIRST* so that the 1098 for that will be split by the program between the SCH E for the time it was a rental, and SCH A for the time it was personal use.

When you finish the SCH E section, and you finish the Personal Income section and start under the Deductions and Credits section, the first thing you'll deal with is "My Home". Now I can't stress this enough.

***READ*** ****THE**** ****SCREENS****.  Pay attention to the small print. It matters.

If you've done it right, the program will tell you that it already has the mortgage interest for one property (the one converted to rental in 2019) and that you do *not* need to enter *ANYTHING* off that 1098 again. But you will be able to enter the 1098 for the house that is not now and never was converted to a rental.

My wife's house is actually a double house (wall in middle divides the two areas) and is mostly used as a weekend AirBnB, until it was rented to a full-time renter in August 2019.

That's a new twist. If the side she moved out of was converted to a rental in 2019, your life just got more complicated. If you don't know how to work this in TurboTax then I highly suggest you just stop here and seek professional help. As to exactly how it's dealt with in TurboTax, depends on how it was dealt with on the 2018 return, as there are several possible ways it could have been handled. Even though all possible ways result in the same bottom line, how it was handled on the 2018 return determines how it gets handled on the 2019 return.

Seeing that you're already late in filing the 2019 tax return, you need to get this done, over with and behind you. If your state also taxes personal income, then you can double the potential complications.