MaxQED
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

Thank you very much for the reply.   I'm quite confounded by what you say.    

1.  No, not in an expanded Medicaid state.  Assets knock us out, and the healthcare.gov site (ACA) says so.

2.  Yes, understood -- can get a Marketplace plan w/out the USG chipping in via APTC.
3.  To be clear, when applying for Marketplace coverage and the APTC, I am truthfully answering questions on expected income.  I'm not misrepresenting anything, much less doing so recklessly.  To my recollection, there are no questions about what I expect our AGI to be or if there is an NOL CF.  Rather the healthcare.gov site asks about household income, or gross income.  I've looked at an ACA site for definition -- things like cap gains and dividends are counted, and I don't see anything about NOL CF counting as (negative) income.  

4.  Do you believe that the spirit of the NOL rules are to disqualify people in our situation from APTC coverage?  Or that the spirit of the ACA rules are to disqualify people with an NOL CF?  If either, what supports that belief?

5.  This past year, our itemized deductions slightly exceeded our total taxable income (w/out considering the NOL CF).  What is the advisability of not using our NOL CF in such a situation?  If we didn't use it, how if at all would that effect our wanting to use it in a future year still within the 20y CF window?