Meghan 912
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

I didn't get written acknowledgment for most of the donations, and they were mostly over $250. But I do have proof of the checks for the donations in my online bank accounts. Is it ok to not have written acknowledgment for most of the donations right now? If I get audited, and they require written proof, can I just ask those organizations for proof at that time?

Also, my donations exceed 60%, the max allowable, so do they carry over to future tax returns? How is that done? Do I have to enter every organization I donated to in my 2019 taxes, even if they exceed the 60%? 

It says for donations of $75+, religious places don't have to give a written statement if they only provide intangible benefits:

https://www.irs.gov/publications/p526

So I don't need the written statements in my case, right? Or is that just one special case? The IRS page is confusing. 

There's more about needing to complete a form 8282 and appraisal if we donate over $500 and $5000 to an organization. Is that only for noncash contributions? So that  doesn't apply to me, since all my contributions are cash donations to religious organizations?

I need to complete my return ASAP, today if possible, and it's going to be a lot of work to impossible to get all that in by today.