Deductions & credits

Thank you, ThomasM125, for your reply. I did as you suggested. The result did not change.

This is not surprising given that the Foreign Tax Credit section you pointed me to under the Estimates and Other Taxes Paid heading leads to the same screens as the Foreign Tax Credit section at the top of the page labeled "Got it. Let's get some more info about these additional tax breaks."

The latter Foreign Tax Credit section is one of the choices in a blue box labeled "Your tax breaks" on the page. The fact that this section shows up here suggests to me that TT knows I entered a foreign tax paid in the Wages & Income section of the interview. That's what makes it so confounding when TT then points me back at Wages & Income to enter the foreign tax payment I made (and already entered through a 1099-DIV).

Here are the titles of the four screens I see when I click on Foreign Tax Credit:

"We’ll check if you’re eligible for the Foreign Tax Credit"

I click on Continue

"Before we begin, do you have any income left to enter?"

"Yes, I'm finished entering my income" is pre-selected.

I click on Continue

"Did you pay foreign taxes in 2019?"

"Yes, I paid foreign taxes this year." is pre-selected.

I click on Continue

"You’ll need to finish adding your foreign tax payments" with a subheading of

"You haven’t entered the amount of any foreign tax payments you made."

I click on Continue, which exits back to the "Got it. Let's get some more info about these additional tax breaks." page with the blue box.

Regarding your statement about not needing to report the foreign income if the foreign taxes are less than $300, while the latter is true in my son's case, that does not seem to be the problem as the above "You haven't entered the amount of any foreign tax payments you made" statement makes clear.

In an act of desperation, I cleared the tax return and started over. The result did not change.

I'm not happy about it, but it appears I will have to give up on claiming the foreign tax credit. I have spent far too many hours on what should be a simple matter.