TRJRG2

Deductions & credits

@rogge1722 

Thanks for your response.

The headers and responses were not as you described.  They were as I wrote previously.  At the last stage I described, I am unable to proceed in the tax credit interview.

However, I started over and found a solution that seems to have worked.  When entering information for foreign income and the exclusion, I opted to not try to apply the foreign earned income exclusion.  In that case, Form 2555 is never generated to begin with.  Then under Tools, I searched for the "foreign tax credit form 1116." Selecting that result, I was able to go through the process of filling out the form.  My regular foreign earned income is entered a second time as general income, "other gross income" (as opposed to being already entered on 1099s and the like).  Critically, after selecting a country, users must select "Edit" for that country's entry in order to enter the paid tax amount.  Further, for those filing jointly, I was able to enter both incomes separately, but the tax is entered as a single total amount.  Once I got through that section, everything seemed just as I expected it to be.