jtax
Level 10

Deductions & credits

Sorry but I can't really go through how to report line by line, but i can give you a rough idea. There are probably previous questions and answers about this if you search this mostly volunteer forum. Or perhaps someone else will reply.

First, for most people these are small amounts. There is also no requirement to report them. By skipping them you might pay a little bit more in tax, but again for most people that might be zero or close to zero.

First, you must use the supplemental statement to figure out the $ amount for each item. E.g. they usually things like Fund ABC, 2% federal direct obligations. You need to find (in your statements, 1099-DIV supplemental info) how much Fund ABC pay you for dividends. Let's say $500. Then 2% of that or $10 is from federal direct obligations. 

You then review the 1099-DIV for that payer and enter $10 in the interview. Look carefully for question/checkbox "A portion of this dividends is US Government Interest" ... what this does is to remove the $10 from your STATE income tax because the Constitution doesn't allow states to tax direct federal interest. You can see how the gain might not be large.

Foreign source income is on relevant if your investments paid foreign income tax (1099-DIV box 7) or perhaps if you have other foreign income. If so TT should ask you about that toward the end of the interview.

I hope that helps at least a little bit.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"