Hal_Al
Level 15

Deductions & credits

"I did receive a decent amount of scholarships".   "Variety of scholarships and grants". 

Scholarships and grants are third party support and do not count as support provided by you, for the support test. 

"Lived in a different city than parents, even when I was not attending classes, such as over the summer" ,

This is still a little "iffy".  If the "different city" is where the college is and your primary purpose for being there is school, you can still be considered as living with your parents at your/their "permanent" residence. "I have been in student housing and apartments and moved intermittently, some periods of time at home and other stretches living in the other city for school" favors that position.

"I was a full time student in 2018, and part time in 2019". 

If you were not full time for parts of at least five months (e.g. Jan-May), you cannot be their qualifying child dependent. For 2019, there is an income test (and a different support test). 

There are two types of dependents. A person can still be a "Qualifying relative" dependent, if not a Qualifying Child, if he meets the 6 tests for claiming a dependent:

1. Closely Related OR live with the taxpayer ALL year  
  2. His/her gross taxable income for the year must be less than $4200 ($4150 in 2018)
  3. The taxpayer must have provided more than 1/2 his support

In either case:

1. He must be a US citizen or resident of the US, Canada or Mexico
  2. He must not file a joint return with his spouse or be claiming a dependent of his own
  3. He must not be the qualifying child of another taxpayer