Anonymous
Not applicable

Deductions & credits

Thank you so much for your response! I just have a few followup questions.

Is the purpose of the question "Was any of the scholarship income not designated to pay 2019 education expenses?" to see if any money counts as personal income or to see if my 1098-T also includes some of my 2018 award? If it is the former, then yes, I used the difference between box 5 and 1 as income. If it is the latter, then I can confidently answer no because as you stated, box 1 and box 5 both include my award from 2018.

For now, I am answering "no". When I do that, the next question asks if I paid for room and board with my scholarship–I did, and I put in the difference between box 5 and 1. After answering both questions, my refund does not increase at all. However, when I select "yes" and I type in the difference between box 5 and 1, my refund increases. Then when I answer the second question and put in the difference between box 5 and 1 again, my refund increases even more.

I'm not sure how to answer these questions. Obviously I want to maximize my refund but not if I do so by answering incorrectly. How should I go about this?

Thank you once again in advance!