cheeto916

I purchased my home in July of 2017. I couldn’t claim the interest on my 2018 taxes because I did not own the house for a whole year. My question is can I claim that interest I paid for 2017 on m

TomD8
Level 15

Deductions & credits

Mortgage interest you paid is reported to you every year on a Form 1098.  You must report a 2017 Form 1098 on a 2017 return, a 2018 1098 on a 2018 return, etc.

If you did not include a 1098 on your original return for a particular year, you must file an amended return for that year.  You cannot claim a Form 1098 on a different year's tax return.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.

Deductions & credits

Not sure why you thought you had to own the house for a whole year before you could enter anything about it on your 2017 tax return.  Find your 1098 from the lender for 2017 and amend the 2017 return.  You can enter mortgage interest, property taxes, loan origination fees and private mortgage insurance paid in 2017.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**