mgc6569
Returning Member

Itemized VS Standard

Why is Turbo Tax recommending the standard deduction of 12,200 (Single), when I can deduct more than 15,000 when I Itemize.  I bought a home in 2019 and between my property taxes and mortgage interest I exceed the standard deduction.  However turbo tax is telling me that my Itemized deductions only equal 6,576

Please advise

DMarkM1
Employee Tax Expert

Deductions & credits

You should revisit the "Deductions & Credits" area to see what is showing for mortgage interest and property taxes.  If they do not match what you entered, revisit and re-enter your form 1098 information.    

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
mgc6569
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

I've put in what is on my 1098, which is 9,270 in mortgage interest and 5,685 in property tax.  I also have 488 in student loan interest I paid.  It adds up to 15,443.  Shouldn't I be able to deduct that amount from my wages.  I am filing single so maybe I'm missing something.  Turbo tax is telling me I have less than 7K on my Itemized deductions.

ReginaM
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

If it's giving you the Standard Deduction and  not showing you Schedule A you can check the actual amount of itemized deductions by following these steps:

1. Select Tax Tools on left,
  2. Select Tools,
  3. Select Tax Summary,
  4. Select Topic Search,
  5. Type itemized deductions.

Now you can review your itemized deductions.  If there is a change, simply select the Edit button to the right of the deduction.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"