Deductions & credits

"note @Hal_Al 's advise earlier (really the same as I state): "

Yes, I noted it. And in my reply I noted that it doesn't work.  I described all of the buttons available to me on tha screen and none of them take me to anything like what is described.

When I get to "Here's Your Education Summary", click on "Education Information",  I'm asked about degree (yes, was working on ...), Enrollment status (Full time), No, didn't earn 4 years already, No, not first year, No, never received either credit before, No, no drug conviction, and I'm back to "Here's your education summary".  There is no screen titled "Amount Used to Calculate Education Deduction or Credit".

How else do I get to this screen?

"line 2d of section VIII - that is an input cell .... assuming you are not taking the AOC credit, it appears this should be the same amount in both columns. just type it in. that should eliminate the regular tax and the penalty. "

line 2d of section VIII of what?  I can't find anything like this.  My problem appears on the TT 1099-Q form, QTP Computation of Taxable Distribution - line 2b, "Adjusted Qualified HE Expense applied" is 10K less in the "For Purposes of Regular Tax" column than it is in the "For Purposes of 10% Additional Tax" column. I see no reason for them to be different.