Deductions & credits

I think you got it wrong. I know if I am using COBRA I cannot file for deduction unless it exceeds 7.5% of AGI. My question is different. My last employment was over in Oct 2019. Since first week of November, 2019 - I got a contract job(without any insurance or benefits) so I opted to continue with my previous coverage from my previous employer(which is COBRA). I am eligible for COBRA for 18 months. COBRA cycle begins on 1st Apr 2019 and goes till 31st Mar 2020.

Now if I want to get my insurance on my own(as COBRA will be getting more expensive for me in the next cycle starting 1st Apr 2020) - can i do so? I provided few links which states that one cannot for another insurance if they are already covered? I will be having coverage in the form of COBRA but i don't want to continue it after 31st Mar 2020 due to higher cost. Can i go for separate insurance(terminating my COBRA)  from 1st Apr 2020 and take deduction for that in 2020 taxes? OR I am not allowed to do so as technically I still could have the coverage from the past employer(even though it is COBRA or slightly more expensive)?