RandanHunt
Returning Member

Travel For Charitable Deduction

Hi,

I have a storage unit in Puerto Rico. I had anticipated returning to the island at some point but I no longer think that is viable. Unsure what to do with the items, I thought that it might make sense to give them to charity.

Would travel costs to the island be deductible as travel associated with a charitable gift?  Would a hotel stay/car rental so that I can unload the unit be?  I'd rather give the items away to charity than have them be auctioned, but if that stuff isn't deductible its a pretty big expense.

Thanks!

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Deductions & credits

There is no deduction for "travel associated with a charitable gift." You can deduct travel expenses when you are doing work for a charitable organization, but emptying out your storage unit so that you can donate the contents is not doing work for the organization.

RandanHunt
Returning Member

Deductions & credits

Ah interesting. That makes sense. So theoretically if I got a signed statement from the charity saying that I was there to work for them, and the work for them was procuring charitable donations, it would then be deductible.

Thanks!

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

Deductions & credits

No, you would still be donating your own items and not working for them. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"