Deductions & credits

A LOT of the program is not functional yet mostly due to the IRS not being ready ... they have not yet issued all of the  final forms or instructions so much of the program is still using 2018 figures like in the HSA section.

These first releases of the program are usually very buggy and will require MANY updates before it becomes fully functional which usually will not happen until late January or sometime in February depending on the forms you need.  So patience will be needed as the IRS has not even announced when the 2020 filing season will start yet.  And since most of the state's piggy back on the federal return they are also scrambling to catch up with all the changes.  Buckle up it's going to be a very bumpy ride yet again ;-).

This  past tax year, the 1040 form was redesigned again and the 6 schedules were reduced to 3 AND  a new 1040SR ( for seniors) was added …these changes will most likely delay things somewhat …  so the smart money is on the patient person who waits to file until most of the bugs have been worked out.  Last time this happened many of the early filers had their returns lost or delayed for months so don't be in a hurry to jump off that cliff.

The tax programs this year have had to be reworked (again like last year) by every tax software company due to the changes above since it is not just as simple as " adding a form or worksheet " since many of the forms interwork with each other ... lots of moving parts to coordinate.   And before they can get final approval they need to be tested and approved by the IRS who themselves are not up to speed yet ... this is an impossible situation that will require patience on all fronts. Even my professional program has indicated that they will be delayed in getting out the first version this year and I appreciate them waiting until they have a working product when it is pushed out.

When will my forms be ready?

Historically, IRS tax forms start becoming available in January, with a few stragglers (most notably Form 1040X) getting finalized in February.

State tax forms can become available for filing any time between December and late February, depending on the state and the tax form.

For specific forms and dates, refer to the Forms Availability Table for your TurboTax product, see the related information below.

Can I Still Work On My Return Before My Forms are Ready?

Yes, according to the following:

Federal Taxes
You can still work on your return and finish most of it. Once your forms become available, we’ll create the forms and include all of your info.

You’ll only be able to e-file or print your return once the forms are available.

While you’re working on your return, we’ll ask if you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.

State Taxes 
If your forms aren’t available, you’ll get a message asking you to return once they become available.

While you’re working on your return, you’ll have a chance to let us know you want to receive email updates when your forms become available.

Related Information:

IRS Forms Availability Table for TurboTax Individual (Personal) Tax Products

Click on the REVIEW tab and the program will tell you what in your return is still NOT ready and the estimated date it will be (subject to change of course ) ... you can put in for an email alert when they are ready ....